MICHAEL J. SOLENDER
2610 Sheffield Crescent Court
Charlotte, NC 28226
Travel, pop culture, and business journalist with more than 1000 feature stories in regional and national publications including: The New York Times, Southern Living, The Charlotte Observer, Ocean Home, NASCAR Illustrated, American City Business Journals, The Jewish Daily Forward, and DCRefined. Regular contributor to print and online publications and blogs. Copywriter and editor. Twenty-five years corporate human resources and corporate communications experience.
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA Minneapolis, MN
Master of Arts – Industrial Relations
Bachelor of Arts – Speech Communication
2/2008 – present Freelance Writer Charlotte, NC
Feature articles covering theater, film, literary reviews, pop culture, food, travel, celebrity interviews, opinion, and satire.
Publications include: The New York Times, Charlotte magazine, The Charlotte Observer, Creative Loafing, Southern Living, The Faster Times, The Jewish Daily Forward, Lake Norman Magazine, Minnesota Magazine, Nfocus Magazine, Ocean Home, Richmond Style Weekly, The Raleigh News & Observer, SouthPark Magazine, South Charlotte News, and The Viewspaper.
Copy editor and contributor for “Charlotte’s got a blog,” a top regional entertainment, event, retail, restaurant and attraction guide. Review and edit stories for publication. Ensure posts maintain integrity with CRVA style, tone and accessibility. Write sponsored/custom content posts supporting CRVA members/advertisers.
Contributor to CRVA Annual Visitors Guide and monthly “Charlotte Happenings” print magazine and website.
2/2008 – 3/2014 Charlotte Viewpoint Charlotte, NC
7/2011 – 3/2014 City Life Editor, About Town/Culture Picks Editor
Responsible for 50% of the content delivery for this nonprofit online arts, culture, and civic magazine. Curate weekly cultural picks and maintain external relationship with arts community. Manage 30 + freelance writers, review and edit copy, make assignments and write editorials/essays.
· About Town/Culture Picks Editor: curate weekly selection of visual, performing, literary arts activities and provide synopsis of events.
· City Life Editor: Provide twice weekly content in form of essay, interview or opinion piece. Cultivate community relationships for stories that span across public, private sectors and touch on all that informs the “sense of place” for the region.
· Recruit, retain and manage stable of freelance writers. Make assignments, provide resources and direction. Maintain publication standards.
· Review and edit all copy.
2/2008 – 3/2014 Arts and Culture Contributor
· Features writer delivering film, theater, opera previews, reviews and commentary.
· Artist profiles and interviews.
· Arts and culture critique and commentary.
1994 – 2007 Corporate Human Resources/Organizational Development Professional
Corporate HR and OD for Fortune 1000 firms including: Taco Bell Corporation, Family Dollar Stores, Harris Corporation, Pioneer Electronics and others. Detailed experience listing available upon request.